NDIS and Childcare in the Home – How You Can Benefit
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is an Australian government scheme that was first legislated in 2013, before entering full operation in 2020. If you have a disability, or if you are the parent of a child with disability, you may be eligible for an NDIS plan which will allow your child to enjoy one-on-one care from an experienced ABC Nanny Services support nanny. In this blog post we will be sharing some insight into the NDIS and how your family can benefit.
How does the NDIS Work?
The NDIS scheme is intended to provide individual support to those with intellectual, physical, sensory, cognitive and psychosocial disability. It also provides intervention supports for children with developmental delay. Eligible families can benefit from financial support and access to support systems to care for the needs of their child/ren.
The NDIS is a national scheme, and it differs from the previous system of block funding as financial support payments will be paid directly to your nominated bank account. The NDIS will enable any Australian who was born with or has acquired a permanent and significant disability to obtain the support they need, and in turn their skills and independence will improve over time.
What are the access requirements?
The eligibility requirements are listed on the NDIS website, where it states that you must:
- be an Australian citizen or hold a Permanent or a Special Category visa
- be aged between 7 and 65
- have a permanent and significant disability.
NDIS participants are provided with an individual support plan, in which goals and funding are clearly listed.
NSW Local Area Coordinators are available to assist you with any queries. You can search for your local office and contacts by inputting your postcode at the ‘Offices and contacts in your area’ webpage.
How an ABC Nanny Services Nanny Can Help
Whether you or your child have recently transitioned to the NDIS, there are various ways in which an ABC Nanny Services can offer support to help meet your family’s goals. This comes under the umbrella of home supports and services, and may include:
- In-home nannies can assist with primary care duties for your child/ren.
- Learning support in the form of home-based play as well as activity-based learning to nurture your child’s development.
- Support for either your child’s goals or your parenting goals (if you are a parent with disability)
- Household support – your nanny can perform light duties within the home such as cleaning, meal preparation and housework.
- Schooling support – your nanny can offer support during the transition to school, acting as an intermediary between family, school staff and other professionals and accompanying your child when necessary to ensure their individual needs are met and ensure a positive experience within a group setting.
- Community/social activities – your nanny can offer support and opportunities to engage with the local community and social activities. Your child’s goals will be considered when deciding on activities.
Early Intervention Support is also available, which can help to lessen the impact of your child’s disability or developmental delay. This will help your child build skills, confidence and independence during early childhood which may lead to reduced reliance on support systems later in life.
For more information, please visit the NDIS website.
ABC Nanny Services – Here to Help
Have you or your child recently become eligible for the NDIS? Contact ABC Nanny Services today on 0402522670 to learn more about the services we offer. We look forward to speaking to you soon.